Subject: Re: Alias style fillets?
From: James Lloyd <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 23:39:58 -0500

> 
> 
> >hi all, 
> >is there a way to connect to seperate objects with a smooth surface like
> >fillets in Alias?
> >
> >a good example would be a pipe going into a ball and where they connect would
> >be nicely curved so its all one piece.  Please don't say "metaform" I know
> >metaform is great but i'm looking for something a little more like Alias.
> >
> >btw, I hate Alias and if there was a way to show my Alias co-workers up I'd'
> >greatly appreciate it :)
> >
> >Josh Tsui
> >

I'm an Alias user who was forwarded this thread by my good friend and 
Lightwave Groupie Paul Davies.  Why -not- use metaform?  Fillet is merely 
a command that combines several operations (trims and blends, similar to 
booleans and skins), to get a smooth result that is very similar to metaform.
Frankly, I've found that this operation is too time consuming (it has 
tied up my 200Mhz Indigo Extreme for 15-20 minutes at a time), and too 
unpredictable to be useful.  I prefer to do the trims and blends manually.

Wanna make your Alias friends turn green?  Load up some Type1 fonts in 
modeler, then bevel them.  Alias Poweranimator ($15K +) cannot do the latter 
reliably, nor the former at all.

Jamie